History

Duet is a fine example of a gaff-rigged yawl retaining the features of an Edwardian classic yacht. She is 21.95 metres long (including spars) and has a beam of 3.38 metres. Duet is built of wood with beautiful teak decks and has most of her original high quality fittings including the original rig. One noticeable change however, is the addition of a deckhouse over the aft cabin removed from ‘Bloodhound’ (Prince Philip’s yacht) during modifications in the sixties.

Designed by Linton Hope and built at White’s yard on the River Itchen in Hampshire, Duet was launched in 1912 as ‘Gaviotta’. In the early 1930s she was bought by Augustine Courtauld, a famous explorer, who renamed her ‘Duet’. When he died in 1959, ownership passed to his son, the Reverend Christopher Courtauld who, with Mr Christopher Ellis, formed the Ocean Youth Club in 1960. The Club used Duet for youth sail training from then until 1994.

Christopher has now passed on ownership of Duet to younger members of the Courtauld Family on the understanding she is still operated for the purpose of sail training.

In 2012, Duet celebrated her centenary year by sailing around the UK. The ‘Voyage to Success‘, which received the Inspire Mark in recognition of its links to the 2012 London Olympics, was sailed in 11 legs, each with a different group of young people on board. 

DCIM100GOPRO